The Great Gatsby is one of my most favourite books in the whole entire world. Ever. I think this is probably down to the fact that aside from my past life as a magpie, I was also most likely a flapper girl in 1920’s America, dancing around in a sparkly feather clad dress and donned in diamond Art Deco jewellery with an alcoholic drink illegally in hand. If you haven’t read the book, you must. Otherwise you have failed at life. (OK failed may be slightly strong, but you’re missing out big time… It’s lush)
So you can imagine my excitement at the release of Baz Luhrmann’s adaption of F Scott Fitzgerald’s decadent masterpiece. Every time I see the trailer I squeal a little bit. I am so excited that I could literally dribble. Yes, I’m well aware that there are very mixed reviews of the film and there are lots of ponces banging on about how it has ruined the book and yada yada yada… But as much as I adore the book, I don’t even care. The 1920’s is such an extravagant, wonderful, lavish era that as long as it makes me want to walk out of the cinema and jump into a hot tub full of champagne and expensive jewels while dancing the night away then I’m happy. Considering the likes of Moulin Rouge I’m sure that I won’t be disappointed, so we’ll see. Plus Leo is always nice to look at and the soundtrack is good 🙂 (see here for a sample, I love it!)
Also loving this article on places to party like you’re Jay Gatsby himself- I’m definitely going to try and tick these all off.
Anyway… As a dedication for my love of Gatsbyness, I have put together a selection of lovely 20’s inspired items that I’ve found lately. Enjoy!
I love a good dress, especially one that you can twirl around in all night.
1. Love this one but unfortunately can’t find a link to anywhere that you can buy it. It looks nice and swooshy though.
2. While I think I would mistake myself for a swan in this, I adore it nonetheless
3. Gorgeously sparkly
4. A dress for a classy bird
5. River Island’s lovely take on fringed glitzyness
6. Another sparkly wonder
Sexy T-bar shoes
Who doesn’t dribble over a good high heel? Plus these look like they’d be quite comfy numbers to dance around in until early hours of the morning.
1. You can never go wrong with Mulberry
2. Cute little heels from New Look
3. Cheeky red ones
4. Want something a bit more shiny? French Connection have you covered.
Accessorise the shit out of it
Finishing touches make all the difference. A touch of glam and lick of makeup and you’re good to go.
1. Art Deco inspired cheap and cheerful lovelies from New Look
2. Absolutely love these!
3. You’ll obv then need a bag to throw your luscious wonders in, so this should do the job
4. Tom Ford never fails to provide a lush lipstick. A cheeky Cupid’s bow lip in a deep red and you’re nearly there (I like the Crimson Noir shade… Ooh la la)
5. I love this eyeliner– little brush in the top and it lasts FOREVER (I don’t even know how long I’ve had mine, that’s how long I’ve had it)
6. Anyone who knows me will be well aware of my pure, unadulterated love for lovely long lashes in the darkest shade of black possible. Big fan of this mascara to add the final lick of luxury